In line with the government insight to produce a contributing generation to the field of science and technology, the National Science Centre has been given a mandate to build a scientific society.
The proposal to establish the National Science Centre arises from one of the strategic challenges listed by Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad in a paperwork entitled Malaysia-The Way Forward established in 1992 which reads:
“The sixth is the challenge of establishing a scientific and progressive society, a society that is innovative and forward looking, one that is not only a consumer of technology but also a contributor to the scientific and technological civilization of the future.”
In order to achieve it, the National Science Centre has outlined a few strategies to raise awareness, understanding and appreciation towards science and technology.
- To provide the environment and facilities for the fun learning of science
- To provide interactive science exhibits
- To provide and organize interesting science programmes and activities
- To simplify the implementation of science and technology
- To publish science and technology literature
- To act as adviser on informal science learning